Easy Cervantes Red Chile, Green Chile (or Christmas) Enchilada Casserole
- 1 lb. Ground Beef (Red Chile Enchiladas) or 1 lb. Shredded Chicken (Green Chile Enchiladas)
- 12 to 16 – 6” Corn Tortillas (Go New Mexico True and use Blue Corn Tortillas if available)
- 1 lb. Grated Cheese (Go with your favorite Jack, Cheddar, or Mozzarella)
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 Jar (16 oz.) Cervantes Red Chile Sauce or Green Chile Sauce or 8 oz. of each flavor for an authentic New Mexico Christmas flavor
- 4 oz. of Diced Lettuce and Tomatoes (for garnish)
- 6 oz. of Canola Oil
- Sour Cream (Optional)
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon Canola Oil. Add meat and season with salt and fresh pepper to taste. Sauté meat in oil (or shred a rotisserie chicken – easier) until browned throughout. Set aside.
- In medium size sauce pan, heat Cervantes Chile Sauce (Red or Green). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- In deep pan on stovetop, heat remaining oil to approximately 425 degrees Fahrenheit. This oil will be used to lightly fry the corn tortillas.
- Dip each tortilla in oil for approximately 5 seconds on each side. Use long tongs to handle tortillas and beware of hot oil popping up.
- Pat tortillas with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- If preferred, tortillas can also be placed between slightly damp paper towels and steamed for 20 seconds for a low-fat option.
- Layer tortillas in a 9 x 12 baking dish overlapping the tortillas and covering bottom of dish.
- Ladle tortilla layer with the heated Cervantes Chile Sauce. Add meat, cheese, and onions (if desired) over sauce.
- Repeat process until the layers are 3 – 4 tortillas high or you are out of tortillas.
- Smoother last layer with Cervantes Chile Sauce until completely covered. Finish top of casserole with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven to melt cheese and warm thoroughly.
- Remove from oven when cheese is melted. Be careful not to burn the cheese.
- Garnish all around the edges of the baking dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Suggested side dishes: Pinto beans, Spanish rice, Calabacitas.
Don’t forget to start your meal off with Cervantes Jalapeño or Green Chile Salsa and tortillas chips! Your guests will feel like they are experiencing a True New Mexico meal in the comfort of your home!